CASE STUDY: CEO ONBOARDING
How do I get 20 years worth of knowledge and expertise into someone else's head?
Once I made the decision to leave the organization I founded, I was faced with a challenge... how do I explain the logic and practices of a deeply complex social venture? How do I teach the next CEO what the lifeblood of the organization was all about without overwhelming or limiting him or her? I was fortunate to have guidance in the form of a transition coach (thanks to a donor who underwrote the costs). My coach helped me vocalize precepts and business truths that became the basis for a binder that I was able to use to onboard my predecessor.
My coach guided me to discover what was important for the organization. I engaged and guided staff to help in each of their areas of expertise. I wrote and/or edited, crafted the messages, and pulled out important details that I felt would be most relevant for the new CEO and put it into binder that is still in use today.
Included in the document are:
- Mission related data, history, research (both quantitative and qualitative), case studies
- Maturity matrixes
- Partner histories
- Program structures, theory of change
- Messaging style guide
- Donor personas, profiles, histories
- Market segmentation data, customer personas, and historical sales data
- Articulated fundraising model, values, and best practices
- Operations best practices, budget narratives, financial metrics highlights